University offers a number of general and subject-specific funding schemes. The aim of The grants is to attract the best and most motivated people to the Netherlands.
- Application Deadline: October 1 and February 1
- Course Level: The studentships are available for the master’s degree programme at Leiden University.
- Award: Varies
- Number of Awards: Not given
- Nationality: International students
- The award can be taken in the Netherlands
- Eligible Countries: International students can apply for these excellence scholarships.
- Study Subject: The studentships are awarded for all MA, MSc and LL.M programmes as mentioned on the website master’s programmes in Leiden (for Non-EU/EEA students).
List of Subjects: Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum Voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies
- Entrance Requirements: Students applying for all Master’s programmes at Leiden University – with the exception of regular LLM (non-advanced) programmes, which do not offer LEx Scholarships.
Students must have achieved excellent study results in their previous education, this being relevant to the Master’s programme for which they are applying. As an indication, the student is amongst the top 10% of graduates in his/her previous study programme. Note: proof of ranking is not required – this information is purely to indicate the level of competitiveness.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the program section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a Word doc of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.
- English Language Requirements: Most master’s programmes at Leiden University are taught in English. This means that applicants will need to submit proof of their English-language proficiency, preferably by means of an IELTS test.
The LExS is awarded for the duration of the study programme. There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee.
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee.
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee.
The LExS is not a fully-funded position. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.